So this post is totally dedicated to my 2017 summer, which I spent mostly on the island of Vir, Croatia. Almost a month, I was away from home, enjoying the sun and the most beautiful Adriatic sea, cooking all kinds of recipes – mostly with the homegrown vegetables we had at our vacation home. That was the first time I made Aubergine mini pizzas which blew my mind with the simplicity of the recipe and the amazing flavour.
Like any pizza, when it comes to aubergines, you can use any combination of toppings, from vide variety of vegetables to the classic ham and cheese. When I opened the fridge that morning I found homemade salami from friends of ours and knew it was going to pair well with the other toppings. Trust me the sky is the limit considering toppings when it comes to these pizzas. Not only are they delicious, but as I mentioned they’re the perfect summer snack/treat.
A few interesting facts about aubergines:
- There are quite a few names for aubergines : Brinjal in India, Berenjena in Spain, Eggplant in the US, Patlican in Turkey and Melanzana in Italy.
- They can come in a few colours too, like white, green, the classic purple and purple with white stripes.
- Aubergines belong to the potato and tomato family.
- There is a tiny amount of nicotine in aubergines, approx. 0,01%.
- The aubergine plant originally comes from Myanmar.
Follow me on Facebook – Recipes by chefkreso
Follow me on Instagram – chefkreso
Follow me on Twitter – chefkreso
Enjoy & happy cooking!
Preparation: 30 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 1 kg aubergine, sliced
- 50 g zucchini, finely sliced
- 50 g mushrooms, chopped
- 50 g cheese, chopped
- 30 g salami, sliced
- 50 g tomatoes, chopped
- Olive oil
Pizza tomato sauce:
- 100 ml tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Take a small sauce pan for the pizza tomato sauce and heat olive oil over low heat, add tomato sauce, oregano, basil, some salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C, sprinkle some olive oil over a large baking tray.
- Place sliced aubergines over a baking tray. Sprinkle some olive oil over them and spread over the pizza tomato sauce. Top them off with chopped mushrooms, cheese, tomatoes, sliced salami and zucchini.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 30 min until cheese melts and all the topping combine. Enjoy!