Tortilla chips are my favorite snack! I always get the most spicy ones and they’re my must-have when bingeing a TV show on Netflix on a Sunday afternoon. It just happens that Grace and Frankie are back for their 4th season on Netflix and I got everything set up to watch them later today. This time decided on doing something different – Tortilla crusted pork sirloin fillets. The idea just popped up and I had to give it a try, turns out it’s pretty awesome!!.. Especially if you’re using spicy tortilla chips for the crust. Check the recipe out, it’s pretty simple to make and sooo delicious.. and of course enjoy your Sunday either relaxing or hanging out with the people you love! 😀
A few interesting facts about tortilla chips:
- The state of Texas made tortilla chips and salsa the state’s official snack in 2003. The idea was proposed by a group of elementary school students who realized that Texas needed a state snack to go alongside the state pepper (jalapeño), the state dish (chili), and the state fruit (grapefruit).
- Doritos were the top-ranked tortilla chip brand in the United States in 2015, with over $1.3 billion in sales. Tostitos came in second, with sales at $601 million. But even with those numbers, tortilla and tostada chips are the third best-selling salty snack in the U.S. Crackers and potato chips were first and second, respectively.
- In 2012, UK restaurant chain Brewers Fayre made the Guinness Book of World Records for baking the country’s largest tortilla chip, at 110 pounds and 32 square feet. It took over 50 hours to make, and was baked in an oven that was 10 feet deep.
- The introduction of tortilla chips into modern food culture is most commonly traced back to Rebecca Webb Carranza. In the late 1940s, she was president of the El Zarpape Tortilla Factory in Los Angeles. She had the idea to fry and serve the misshapen tortillas that the machine sometimes produced, and after her family raved over them at a family party, she sold them to the public for a dime a bag.
Follow me on Facebook – Recipes by chefkreso
Follow me on Instagram – chefkreso
Follow me on Twitter – chefkreso
Enjoy & happy cooking!
Preparation: 30 min
Cook time: 35 min
- 4 pork sirloin fillets
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 cup ground tortilla chips, spicy
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Season the pork sirloin fillets with some salt and set aside for at least 10 min.
- Place a cup of flour on a large plate, whisk together 2 eggs and milk in a bowl and place the ground spicy tortilla chips on a second plate.
- Cover the sirloin fillets first in flour, then in eggs and finally in tortilla chips.
- Heat oil in a large pan, place tortilla crusted fillets in it, lower the heat significantly and let it fry slowly so the meat cooks. Fry until you get crispy and golden crust. Enjoy!