I absolutely love baking cakes, and winter holiday time is just the time to prepare some. When it’s cold outside, and I can’t see the street from the windows in my room because they’re covered in snow, that’s when I just want to lock myself up in the kitchen and bake cakes the whole day. There’s just something about that wonderful scent of cinnamon mixed with apples, or vanilla mixed with chocolate that comes from the oven and spreads throughout the house.
That’s what Christmas is for me.. and every other day in December while Coca-Cola ads are everywhere you look and you can hear those little bell chimes in every TV or radio ad with lots of family laughter and Home Alone movies. This will actually be the first Christmas that I won’t spend with my family but in Budapest, and as much as I’m sad about it, I can’t wait to go to Budapest.
Today I have a treat for you as you can see from the Title of the post and the photos in it. I’m sharing with all of you one of my dearest cakes – Blueberry & white chocolate cake I modified from a recipe I got months ago. It’s a showstopper and there’s no better time to make it than now.. So grab an apron, start the oven and let the baking begin!
Follow me on Facebook – Recipes by chefkreso
Enjoy & happy cooking!
Preparation: 1 h
Cook time: 30 min
- 6 eggs
- 80 g sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 30 g cocoa
- 20 g all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 150 g almonds, ground
- 50 g hazelnuts, ground
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp blueberry juice
Cream filling / icing:
- 650 g Mascarpone cheese
- 200 g white chocolate
- 400 ml heavy cream
- 5 tbsp gelatine
- 600 g blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 180° C. Butter up 2 cake trays, or cover them in parchment paper.
- Place 6 egg yolks in a large bowl, gradually add sugar and honey, mix them together until fluffy. Sift all-purpose flour, baking powder and cocoa, then add them to the mix. When ingredients are combined, stir in ground almonds and hazelnuts, as well as vanilla extract.
- In a second bowl beat together 6 egg whites until stiff. Manually stir them in the egg yolks mixture. Divide the batter in half, pour each half of the cake mixture in one of the buttered up cake trays.
- Bake the cakes in the preheated oven for about 15 min. Using a toothpick check if the cake is baked, when poking it with the toothpick it comes out clean.
- Set the cakes aside to cool down while preparing the icing for the cake. Melt white chocolate and mix it in with Mascarpone cheese.
- Melt gelatine in a tablespoon of cold water, set aside so it doubles in size.
- In a second bowl whip heavy cream, when it starts getting stiff mix in white chocolate & Mascarpone mixture. Melt gelatine that has doubled in size over low heat and gradually pour it in while mixing the cream filling for the cake.
- Finish off the cream stuffing by stirring in fresh blueberries.
- Whisk together milk and blueberry juice. Sprinkle some on the first layer of the cake. Cover it with one half of the icing. Then place the second layer of the cake, and cover the whole cake with the second half of the icing. Enjoy!