I’ve already posted a recipe for Burek about half a year ago, but Burek is a type of pastry we Croatians and all of the other people from Balkans love and I certainly think it’s a must-try if you visit any of these parts. Today you can find this type of pastry with fresh cheese, combination of spinach and fresh cheese, but only the ones with meat are called Burek, such as those with lamb mince or even chicken mince topped with sour cream or yogurt.
The best Burek I had, was years ago in Sarajevo. Sarajevo is a beautiful city with so much to offer, hidden gems in the old part of the city called Baščaršija where you can find delicious Burek or Čevapi, and the modern part of the city where you can grab a coffee or beer with friends and go shopping. I recommend visiting as soon as you get the chance to do so!
But until you get the chance to actually go to Sarajevo or any of the other cities in this part of Europe, enjoy this delicious recipe!
Follow me on Facebook – Recipes by chefkreso
Enjoy & happy cooking!
Preparation: 25 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 400 g soft flour
- 6 tsp vegetable oil
- 200 ml water
- 600 g beef mince
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp pork fat
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Mix together soft flour, pinch of salt, oil and water until you get a firm dough that won’t stick. Beat the dough and let it rest for half an hour in a bowl covered with a rag so it doesn’t dry.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C.
- In a medium bowl stir together beef mince, salt, pepper and finely chopped onion.
- Pull the dough until thin and divide it in 4 sheets. Place 1 sheet of dough in a baking tray covered in 1 tablespoon of fat. Spread 1/3 of meat over it, top it with the second sheet of dough and spread 1 tbsp of fat over it, cover it with beef. Repeat the process and top the beef mince with the last sheet of dough spreading fat on top of it.
- Bake Burek in a preheated oven for 30 min until crispy & golden. Enjoy!