Chicken pot pie happened to me after a long day of looking for what to prepare for dinner, and having some fresh butter, chicken and veggies in the fridge. First I was thinking of making some kind of crust that would be similar to a regular pie, but decided on puff pastry. Turned out puff pastry was the best decision I made because the Chicken pot pie turned out more delicious than I would’ve imagined. The best thing about it, you can use any combo of veggies you prefer and the result will be so worth it!
These days I make Chicken pot pie as often as I can, probably to make up for all of the years I’ve missed out on. Seems like everyone in my family loves it as much as my friends also do. I recommend trying out the recipe, because this classic will leave you asking for more!
Follow me on Facebook – Recipes by chefkreso
Enjoy & happy cooking!
Preparation: 35 min
Cook time: 35 min
- 300 g all-purpose flour
- 225 g butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 40 ml water
- 600 g chicken, sliced
- 2 tsp red paprika
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 80 g onion, sliced
- 100 g carrot, sliced
- 150 g mushroom, sliced
- 150 g zucchini, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tsp black sesame
- 1 egg
- Vegetable oil
- Butter for baking tray
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Season sliced chicken with red paprika, Worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, salt, pepper and a splash of vegetable oil. Set aside to marinade.
- Place the flour and a pinch of salt in the food processor. Gradually pour in water and two egg yolks until all the ingredients come together. Cover the dough in plastic foil and let it rest in the fridge for at least 30 min.
- Lightly flour the surface and roll the dough. Place the butter in between two parchment papers and roll it out in a square shape but it has to be large as an envelope, so the surface of the rolled out dough is larger. Do it quickly so it doesn’t melt.
- Put the butter on the center of the rolled out dough. Fold the dough over the butter and roll it with your rolling-pin in a rectangle shape. Fold the left 1/3 of the dough over the center and cover it with the right 1/3 of the dough, and roll it again. Repeat the process for a few times, cover the dough and place it in the fridge for at least 20 min.
- Repeat the rolling process for a few more times, and in between you place it in the fridge again for at least 20 min to chill.
- Heat a splash of vegetable oil in a large pan. Add sliced onions and carrots, let them simmer for a few minutes. Stir in marinated chicken, sliced garlic and mushrooms. Cook over high heat for a minute or two stirring occasionally. Add sliced zucchini and toss the ingredients for a few times. Remove from heat.
- Butter up 2 smaller baking trays or one larger. Preheat the oven to 180° C. Take the dough out of the fridge and roll it out.
- Place the rolled out dough in a buttered up baking tray. Top the dough with cooked vegetables and chicken and close it off. Whisk 1 egg in a small bowl and spread it over the Chicken pot pie and sprinkle some black sesame on top.
- Bake the Chicken pot pie in a preheated oven until golden and crispy, about 20 min. Serve with a bowl of fresh coleslaw or lamb’s lettuce.