When sharing this photo on my Instagram account (chefkreso) I was surprised when some of the users asked me if poppy seeds I used to make the cake were legal. I have to say here poppy seeds are omnipresent in cooking, when preparing bread or cakes, even in our traditional cakes our grandmas used to make. If you haven’t tried a similar cake you certainly should. This is a simple but rich in flavor cake, it takes only a few ingredients and the love of cooking. So grab a whisk, mix the flour, butter and poppy seeds and enjoy every single bite of this light, sweet and tasty cake!
Preparation: 20 min Cook time: 40 min Servings: 6
- 3 eggs
- 100 g sugar
- 100 ml oil
- 150 ml milk
- 150 g soft flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 150 g poppy seed, ground
- 100 ml cherry compote juice
- 100 g chocolate
- 40 g butter
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Butter a square cake pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl mix together eggs & sugar. Stir in oil and gradually add soft flour sifted with baking powder, milk and ground poppy seeds.
- Place the poppy seed mixture in a buttered cake pan. Bake for 40 min in a preheated oven. Remove from oven and let it cool down.
- Poach the cake with a fork and spread cherry compote juice over it.
- In a small sauce pan melt chocolate over steam. Add butter and stir to combine well. Spread the chocolate glaze over the cake.