I always wanted to have a big garden with lots of different vegetables I could grown any time of year. Unfortunately that’s just a dream at the moment since I live in an apartment building near the city center. There are a few friends of mine who live just outside the city, and they all have gardens both in front of the house, as well as in the back. They’re already used to bringing me all sorts of fruit and vegetables and I’m not afraid to ask for some, in this case that’s just what I did before preparing this dinner. Salsa is a side dish you can make with any combination of vegetables, they just got to be fresh and tasty!
Have fun preparing this recipe, check a few interesting facts about tomatoes and red bell peppers below!!
A few interesting facts about red bell peppers:
- Red bell peppers are sweeter than green ones because they sweeten as they ripen
- Red bell pepper has more than twice the vitamin C in green bell pepper
- Bell peppers are a rich source of vitamin A
- Peppers were named by Spanish explorers searching for peppercorn plants to produce black pepper
A few interesting facts about tomatoes:
- Tomatoes originally came from Peru
- People used to be afraid of eating tomatoes because of their relation to poisonous belladonna
- Tomatoes were first brought to Europe in the mid 1500’s
- Tomatoes are the richest source of lycopene which is important for the health of the prostate gland in men
- Tomato is a fruit, confusion comes from the 1890s when the US supreme court named them a vegetable for taxation purposes
- There are more than 10000 varieties of tomato
Follow me on Facebook – Recipes by chefkreso
Follow me on Instagram – chefkreso
Follow me on Twitter – chefkreso
Enjoy & happy cooking!
Preparation: 30 min
Cook time: 35 min
- 4 pork steaks
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 50 ml soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 40 g corn
- 70 g red and green bell pepper, chopped
- 60 g zucchini, chopped
- 80 g aubergine, chopped
- 100 g tomatoes, crushed
- 50 g onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 tsp chili pepper, ground
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Season the steaks with salt. Place ground pepper, soy sauce, brown sugar, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder in a ziplock bag. Massage the spices until combined, place steaks inside and coat with marinade. Set aside.
- Splash some olive oil in a medium sauce pan. Heat over medium heat and stir in chopped onion, simmer until soft. Stir in corn, chopped red and green bell pepper, zucchini, aubergine and crushed tomatoes. Cook covered over low heat for about 20 min, and uncovered for 10 more minutes so the sauce reduces. Season with some salt, ground chili pepper and Tabasco sauce.
- Heat a large non-stick grill pan. Grill steaks on each side for about 3 min until well done.