Well I’ve got a treat for all of you today! Here in Zagreb the wind’s been blowing like crazy, and I decided to spend my day in the kitchen, baking a cake of course. Pineapples and strawberries have always been one of my favourite combinations, there’s a small juice bar where they make an amazing pineapple – strawberry smoothie and used to buy it every day after work, and for years now my favourite breakfast idea is yogurt with the same ingredients. So no wonder why I love this cake so much and I was looking forward to the moment that I was going to share the recipe with you.
Since I was a kid strawberries were my favourite fruit and I couldn’t wait till the season of strawberries came so my mother would get some from the farmers’ market. She would make some whipped cream, or we’d open a jar of Nutella and dip them in one or the other. To this day, nothing has changed but the fact that nowadays you can get strawberries if they’re in or out of the season. I still love them as much and any cake that has some in it, doesn’t last long in my house.
Start baking, I recommend this cake, it won’t disappoint!
Follow me on Facebook – Recipes by chefkreso
Enjoy & happy cooking!
Preparation: 45 min
Cook time: 1 h
- 400 g ripe banana, sliced
- 40 g pineapple, finely sliced
- 30 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 25 g sugar
- 10 g hazelnuts, ground
- 2,5 dl extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cake stuffing / icing:
- 300 g cream cheese
- 150 g white chocolate
- 100 g powdered sugar
- 150 g butter
- 100 g strawberries
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp rum
- Preheat the oven to 180° C. Butter up 3 round cake trays or cover them with parchment paper.
- Beat two eggs with sugar until fluffy in a large bowl.
- Sift all-purpose flour, cinnamon and baking powder, then add them to the egg mixture. Gradually mix in olive oil and vanilla extract until combined.
- Using a fork or a food processor ground up the sliced bananas in a medium bowl. Add pineapple and ground hazelnuts. Stir in the fruit and hazelnut mixture with the egg batter.
- Divide the batter in three parts and bake each cake in a buttered up cake tray in a preheated oven for about 20 min. Set aside to cool down.
- Mix butter with powdered sugar until fluffy. Melt white chocolate over steam. Add cream cheese, melted white chocolate, lime juice and rum, whip until combined. Using a food processor ground up strawberries and add them to the icing mixture.
- To assemble the cake set first layer fo the cake, cover it in icing and repeat the process two more times. Finish the cake by decorating it with bananas and strawberries. Enjoy!