I had a chance to look after my niece and nephew this weekend, and it was crazy, both fun and exhausting. They are 3 and 1-year-old, just the time when they have probably the most energy and want to try and do everything. I didn’t get a minute to sit down, but that’s what I could’ve expected. The funny thing is how they asked me from the moment they entered my apartment if I prepared a cake, and the disappointment that followed when I told them I didn’t have time to whip something up. But must admit they loved Gravče tavče, the mild version without chili pepper and mildly seasoned, with grilled chicken.
Gravče tavče is a traditional Macedonian dish, and here in Croatia we love Macedonian cuisine. Mostly you can find it in our restaurants as a side dish to grilled meat dishes. We also have a few traditional Macedonian restaurants in Zagreb where you have a chance to explore and enjoy delicious Macedonian food and their tasty wine, and the best thing is that the prices aren’t high for the received quality and quantity of the food.
Follow me on Facebook – Recipes by chefkreso
Enjoy & happy cooking!
Preparation: 15 min
Cook time: 35 min
- 500 g red kidney beans
- 150 g bacon, finely sliced
- 300 g red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 200 g ripe tomatoes
- 1 dl tomato sauce
- 150 g onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tsp chili pepper
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp smoked red paprika
- 2 tsp parsley
- Vegetable oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- If you’re not using canned beans, place them in water a day prior to cooking them. Cook beans in slightly salted water until soft and cooked all the way through. Drain water and set aside.
- Heat a sprinkle of vegetable oil in a medium sauce pan. Add chopped onion and sliced bacon. Let it simmer over low heat for about 5 to 10 min until soft. Stir in chopped red bell pepper, ripe tomatoes, chili pepper, parsley and pressed garlic. Let it simmer for 10 more minutes. Pour in the tomato sauce.
- Preheat oven to 200° C.
- Heat a sprinkle of oil in another smaller sauce pan. Add flour and smoked red paprika, stir the ingredients until combined. Mix in the flour mixture with the red beans in the bigger sauce pan. Continue to cook for a few more minutes.
- Transfer the red beans in a clay baking tray and bake in the oven for about 10 to 15 min. Enjoy!