Yesterday was Halloween and even though the celebration itself isn’t as popular here in Croatia, many night clubs still organize parties where people dress up and have fun. The last time I dressed up in a costume was when I was a kid, since I went both to Croatian and American school where we learned English, they organized Halloween each year with fun games and a competitions for the best costume. This year I just went out with friends, no fuss no muss. It’s sometimes amusing seeing people enter a club and realizing they’re the only ones dressed, but they have fun nevertheless.
When it comes to making cakes, pastries and cookies for Halloween, I’m all about that tradition. I don’t focus much on decorating in the Halloween spirit, but still making pastries every October 31st. This time it was time for my Chocolate almond cookies. I just love preparing them every occasion I get, either it’s for friends or family, on a holiday or a birthday. These cookies are a party favourite and I adore them!
Check out the recipe, and save it for a special occasion, the person you’ll make them for will be more than happy and if that person is you – I’m telling you, you’ll love them!
Follow me on Facebook – Recipes by chefkreso
Enjoy & happy cooking!
Preparation: 45 min
Cook time: 15 min
- 210 g all-purpose flour
- 130 g butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp rum
- 150 g almonds, crushed
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp honey
- 270 g chocolate, grated
- 100 ml heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 70 g almonds, crushed
- 2 tbsp almond oil
- Heat almonds in water in a small sauce pan to a boil. Remove from heat and peel the almonds. Crush peeled almonds both for the dough and for the filling.
- Sift flour, corn starch and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add butter at room temperature to the bowl and manually mix in the ingredients until you get a crumbly mixture. Add vanilla extract, rum, crushed almonds and honey to the mix and combine until you get a firm dough.
- Cover the dough in plastic foil and set aside in the fridge for at least 30 min.
- Place a parchment paper on a large baking tray. Preheat the oven to 180° C.
- Roll out the dough on a slightly floured surface and using a round mold cut it out. Place cookies on the baking tray and bake in a preheated oven for about 5 to 10 min until crispy and golden.
- Heat heavy cream to a boil. Pour heavy cream over 210 g of grated chocolate, vanilla extract and 50 g of crushed almonds, mix until it melts. Set aside until chocolate ganache sets. Place chocolate ganache over the bottom cookie and top it with another cookie.
- Melt 60 g of chocolate over steam. Add almond oil and stir to combine. Top the cookies with melted chocolate and the rest of the crushed almonds. Enjoy!