As mentioned in a post last week, I love using my wok and preparing stir-fry. I always use a different combination of ingredients and spices finding new delicious combinations of flavours. I got the idea of using cabbage in a stir fry when I went to this small but fairly popular restaurant near the busy city center of Zagreb, where they use wok to prepare all kinds of noodle and rice based dishes. By now I tried all the combinations they have on their menu, but never ordered, for me, a classic Teriyaki chicken noodle stir-fry. Well last week I did and found out how cabbage mixed with other vegetables and spices and sauces can be really tasty prepared this way, so I had an idea of my own how to prepare my own Chicken cabbage stir-fry with barley that isn’t a typical side dish or base in this case. The dish was a hit, but give it a try yourself!
Also check out this delicious version of Chicken vegetable stir-fry I shared a few months ago! 🙂
Follow me on Facebook – Recipes by chefkreso
Enjoy & happy cooking!
Preparation: 25 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 350 g chicken breast, sliced
- 100 g carrot, sliced
- 150 g red bell pepper, sliced
- 100 g onion, sliced
- 150 g zucchini, sliced
- 100 g mushroom, sliced
- 300 g cabbage, sliced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 corn starch
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 200 g barley
- 1 small yellow carrot, sliced
- 1 small parsley root, sliced
- Peanut oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Season chicken breast with some salt & pepper.
- Heat a splash of peanut oil in a large wok. Add sliced chicken breast, carrot, bell pepper and onion. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Season the ingredients in the wok with garlic powder, soy sauce, lime juice, oyster sauce and fish sauce. Add sliced zucchini, mushroom and cabbage. Toss the ingredients a few times and cook the ingredients.
- Add corn starch to the mix and toss the ingredients over high heat. Finish when the flavours are combined and vegetables cooked but still crisp and tasty.
- Heat slightly salted water in a medium sauce pan to a boil. Add sliced yellow carrot and parsley root and cook for a few minutes. Stir in barley and cook until soft, remove carrot and parsley root. Enjoy Chicken cabbage stir-fry & barley!