This morning Zagreb was covered in fog, like a cold blanket it settled above the streets and crawled in between the buildings. I could feel the cold air trying to get in through the windows of my apartment, while I was trying to find the sun they said was coming out today. Unable to find it, I just wished I was at the seaside again, where my friends who live at the coast still go each day for a swim even though it’s the middle of October.
What always gets me out of this funk is cooking, and I just had all of the ingredients for a perfect summer recipe! Even though there are many ways of preparing calamari, still one of them which I find most delicious is Stuffed calamari. I bought some today at the local market, freshly caught the day before in the Adriatic. Have to say I find fish and seafood in general from the Adriatic most delicious, and if you get a chance to visit the Croatian coast, go to a traditional seafood restaurant so you can enjoy one of our specialties!
Until then you have this, as well as the other delicious recipes I’ve posted to prepare it yourself.
Follow me on Facebook – Recipes by chefkreso
Enjoy & happy cooking!
Preparation: 25 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 1 kg calamari
- 250 g rice
- 60 g bacon, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tbsp parsley, fresh, finely chopped
- 2 tsp basil, fresh, finely chopped
- 2 tsp oregano
- 80 g Edam cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp bread crumbs
- 2 dl white wine
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a sprinkle of olive oil in a medium sauce pan. Add rice and cook with the addition of water, seasoned with salt, 1/2 tbsp of parsley, 1 tsp of basil and 1 tsp of oregano.
- Clean the calamari, remove tentacles and chop them.
- In a medium bowl mix together cooked rice, bacon, Edam cheese and garlic. Stuff the calamari with the rice and bacon mixture and place them in a large baking tray. If there’s more rice mixture than needed you can place it around stuffed calamari in the baking tray.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C. Season the stuffed calamari with the rest of the parsley, basil and oregano. Sprinkle bread crumbs over them, with some olive oil and white wine.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20 to 30 min until cheese melts and calamari are cooked through.