My mother isn’t a big baker, she never liked baking cakes very much and she would always leave it to my grandmother to make them for big occasions and those small ones when we’d come over for a family dinner. The one thing she knew how to bake and I absolutely love is this Poppy seed strudel. Since she didn’t have a passion for baking as much as I do, she passed on the recipe so I can make it when ever I like.
The first thing that comes to mind when thinking of poppy seeds and pastries using them is a small bakery we had in my neighbourhood where they made traditional Croatian pastries and cakes. They made this cake Međimurska gibanica, I’ve shared the recipe for 9 months ago when I started writing posts, and homemade strudels with all kinds of fillings. Remember saving money as a kid to buy a slice of those strudels after school. It’s been years since they closed down, but I still remember the sweet taste.
You can make this strudel with an addition of fresh fruit, especially strawberries and raspberries, or even apples cooked in white wine. Grab an apron, start the oven and give this strudel a try!
Follow me on Facebook – Recipes by chefkreso
Enjoy & happy cooking!
Preparation: 50 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 250 g strong flour
- 250 g cold butter
- pinch of salt
- 150 ml water
- 100 g poppy seeds
- 200 ml milk
- 100 g brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp rum
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Place the flour and a pinch of salt in the food processor. Gradually pour in water until all the ingredients come together. Cover the dough in plastic foil and let it rest in the fridge for at least 30 min.
- Lightly flour the surface and roll the dough. Place the butter in between two parchment papers and roll it out in a square shape but it has to be large as an envelope, so the surface of the rolled out dough is larger. Do it quickly so it doesn’t melt.
- Put the butter on the center of the rolled out dough. Fold the dough over the butter and roll it with your rolling-pin in a rectangle shape. Fold the left 1/3 of the dough over the center and cover it with the right 1/3 of the dough, and roll it again. Repeat the process for a few times, cover the dough and place it in the fridge for at least 20 min.
- Repeat the rolling process for a few more times, and in between you place it in the fridge again for at least 20 min to chill.
- In a medium sauce pan bring milk to a boil, add brown sugar & vanilla extract and pour the mixture over poppy seeds. Stir them a few times.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C. Place a parchment paper over a large baking tray.
- Roll out the dough over slightly floured surface and place the filling over it. Roll the strudel.
- Whisk in a small bowl 1 egg, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Place the strudel on the baking tray and finish it by brushing beaten egg with brown sugar and cinnamon over it. Bake in a preheated oven for about 20 min, until crispy and golden. Enjoy!