Mlinci! So since I first posted a photo of Mlinci on my Instagram feed – chefkreso, I’ve been asked to share the recipe for them. Mlinci are a type of pasta commonly and traditionally used in Croatia as a side dish to roasted turkey or chicken. I have to admit this is one of my favourite types of pasta, not only does it reminds me of my family dinners with my grandparents and the fact that they’re a traditional Croatian dish, but they are so simple to make and so delicious.
Here in Croatia Mlinci are a part of our traditional cuisine and as such can be found in many of our restaurants. If you ever find yourself in Croatia, especially the continental part, I urge you to give them a try, you won’t regret it. People who have tried them while staying in Croatia, later used to ask me how to make them themselves since they’re so hard to find anywhere outside Croatia, and finally I have found and tried out a simple recipe you can use.
Start the oven, season a turkey and give these a try, I’m sure they would be great for a Labour day or any other holiday family dinner!
Follow me on Facebook – Recipes by chefkreso!
Enjoy & happy cooking!
Preparation: 25 min
Cook time: 1,5 h
- 400 g hard flour
- 200 ml water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 600 g turkey leg and wing
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp red paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Sift the flour and mix the ingredients using your hand until you form a non-sticky firm dough. Set aside to rest and cover with a kitchen rag so it doesn’t dry off.
- Divide in 8 to 10 pieces and roll the dough. Heat a large non-stick pan over high heat and bake quickly the rolled out dough until golden and light brown. Set aside and let the sheets of dough dry off for 1 day or you can use them right away, but have to dry them off. Break the dough into smaller pieces which we will soak in boiling water until cooked all the way through.
- Season the turkey legs and wings with salt, pepper, onion powder, red paprika & garlic powder. Heat vegetable oil in a large non-stick pan. Cook turkey leg and wing on each side quickly until crispy and golden to close off the flavours inside. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 200° C. Sprinkle some vegetable oil in a baking tray.
- Cover the turkey leg and wing in honey. Transfer the meat into a baking tray and bake for 1 to 1,5 h until cooked all the way through.
- While the turkey is in the oven heat slightly salted water to a boil in a large cooking pot. Pour boiling water over dried off Mlinci and stir until soft and cooked all the way through, then drain water.
- Mix Mlinci with the juice you get from baking turkey meat, which will also season them. Serve with sweet & sour sauce and enjoy!