Buckwheat is plant with a grain-like seed used in many recipes today. It originates from Central Asia, but today you can probably find it in any store or market. Don’t know if many of you had a chance to cook with buckwheat, but a considerable amount of recipes you can find today use buckwheat as a base for the dough so you can make pasta with it, cakes and desserts. Another way to prepare buckwheat is to cook it with vegetables and make a delicious side or main dish.
A few of the interesting facts about buckwheat are:
- 90% of globally consumed buckwheat originates from Russia,
- Discarded hulls of buckwheat are used as fillers for the pillows,
- Buckwheat is also used to manufacture an intensely flavored, dark-colored honey,
- It is also used in the alcohol beverage industry for the production of gluten-free beer and whiskey,
- Buckwheat is a rich source of dietary fibers, proteins, vitamins of the B group and minerals such as iron, manganese, copper, magnesium and phosphorus.
Finding out a few things about buckwheat made me really appreciate it as a source of food, and made me look up a few more recipes where I can use it. My recipe consisting of buckwheat is generally a traditional approach to preparing it, considering Croatian tradition and flavours. It combines a range of root vegetables, sliced smoked bacon and of course buckwheat. All of the ingredients together make a delicious dish you can prepare for a quick lunch or a flavourful side dish. Check it out! Try it out & enjoy!
Preparation: 15 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 500 g buckwheat
- 150 g bacon, sliced
- 2 tbsp pork fat or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 small celery root, grated
- 1 small parsley root, grated
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cook buckwheat in 400 ml of vegetable stock over medium heat. If needed add water while cooking, cook until soft and cooked all the way through, drain water.
- In a small non-stick pan fry bacon over low heat, no oil needed, until crispy and golden on the surface.
- In medium sauce pan heat pork fat or vegetable oil. Add finely chopped onion and pressed garlic, let it simmer over low heat until soft, occasionally stirring. Stir in grated carrots, celery root and parsley root. Season with salt & pepper if needed and cook for a few minutes before adding cooked buckwheat. Stir and cook until all the ingredients are combined, when it’s almost done add crispy bacon. Enjoy!