Every day I get hundreds of requests to make cakes, pies, and any kind of desserts. Usually the people asking are members of my family, or friends. As I’m still a student and I have a job at the moment, there is not as much free time, as I would love, to make cakes and bake. Baking is something I love to do, something I would gladly do any time of day, so every chance I get I bake.
I always say that the best part of baking is making something from scratch. For me there doesn’t exist a thing that would make me as happy as when I bake a perfect cake, or a perfect pie, from the immaculate crust to the amazing flavour, and sharing it with someone is just the icing on the cake.
This recipe combines poppy seeds and cherries in a delicious strudel. The women in my family are experts in baking strudel, and I have a version of my own for the pastry I use to make a strudel. I make the puff pastry from scratch and after rolling it over and over again I fill it with the mixture of poppy seeds and cherries, but you can see the recipe below!
Follow me on Facebook – Recipes by chefkreso
Enjoy & happy cooking!
Preparation: 50 min
Cook time: 30 min
Servings: 8 – 12
- 250 g strong flour
- 250 g cold butter
- pinch of salt
- 150 ml water
- 150 g cherry compote
- 100 g poppy seeds
- 200 ml milk
- 100 g brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- Place the flour and a pinch of salt in the food processor. Gradually pour in water until all the ingredients come together. Cover the dough in plastic foil and let it rest in the fridge for at least 30 min.
- Lightly flour the surface and roll the dough. Place the butter in between two parchment papers and roll it out in a square shape but it has to be large as an envelope, so the surface of the rolled out dough is larger. Do it quickly so it doesn’t melt.
- Put the butter on the center of the rolled out dough. Fold the dough over the butter and roll it with your rolling-pin in a rectangle shape. Fold the left 1/3 of the dough over the center and cover it with the right 1/3 of the dough, and roll it again. Repeat the process for a few times, cover the dough and place it in the fridge for at least 20 min.
- Repeat the rolling process for a few more times, and in between you place it in the fridge again for at least 20 min to chill.
- In a medium sauce pan bring milk to a boil, add brown sugar & vanilla extract and pour the mixture over poppy seeds. Stir them a few times.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C. Place a parchment paper over a large baking tray.
- Divide the cherries from the compote juice and stir them in with the poppy seeds. Roll out the dough over slightly floured surface and place the filling over it. Roll the strudel.
- Place the strudel on the baking tray and finish it by brushing beaten egg over it. Bake in a preheated oven for about 20 min, until crispy and golden. Enjoy!