I have to admit it is not a pumpkin season this time of year here in Croatia, even though you can find butternut in every supermarket or the organic farmer’s market nowadays all year round. Pumpkin is a vegetable I love using in my kitchen, and it wasn’t something you could find on my family’s menu while I was a kid, actually I insisted on using it and trying out new recipes.
My first pumpkin recipe was a pumpkin pie. I didn’t believe a pie using a pumpkin could turn out as delicious as a strawberry or blueberry pie people usually adore, so I had to try it out. The recipe for this pie involved bananas which really gave that tasty sweet flavour that made this pie as delicious as it was. Just so you can check it out here’s the link and a photo of it – Pumpkin banana pie
After trying out a tasty dessert as the one I just mentioned I had to see can there be any other delicious desserts using pumpkin. My favourite cake is cheesecake, so I had to see if there was any version of a pumpkin cheesecake that would work for me, and I found and perfected my recipe for a Pumpkin cheesecake which is also posted here.
Pumpkin is an amazing ingredient which should be used all year round, it has so many uses in desserts, main dishes, side dishes, soups and even drinks. This recipe for a Pumpkin soup is easy to make, delicious and it takes 20 min or so to make it. Try it out and tell me how it turned out for you!
Enjoy & follow me on Facebook – Recipes by chefkreso
Preparation: 15 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 parsley root, chopped
- 1 kg butternut pumpkin, peeled & sliced
- 600 ml vegetable stock
- 100 ml heavy cream or cooking cream
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp chili pepper
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add chopped onion, garlic and parsley root and let it simmer until soft, for about 3 – 5 min.
- Steam sliced butternut pumpkin for a few min until soft but still crisp. Add steamed pumpkin to the sauce pan with onion, garlic and parsley root. Cook for 10 min occasionally stirring.
- Pour vegetable stock to the pumpkin and vegetables and cook. Season with salt, pepper, chili pepper, nutmeg and bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat for next 15 min until pumpkin is soft.
- Stir in heavy cream and bring to a boil. Finish the soup by pureeing it with a hand blender.