If only I could have this view in front of me every morning when I step out on the street. The smell of pine in a light salty breeze coming from the sea, the sky clear and blue and just a few steps to the beach.
This is something I woke up to every day last week. I would get up earlier than usual, went to a local beach bar for coffee and after that just relaxed on the beach. Every time it got too hot I would just jump in the sea, swam a few laps and repeat. Now while sitting at my desk in Zagreb I can’t stop thinking about it, missing every moment.
It’s actually interesting how first inhabitants lived on the island of Vis in the 4th century BC. At some point they were an independent city starting their own colonies on other islands and even the today Croatian coast, they even had their own money.
For the longest part of its history the island of Vis spent under the rule of the Republic of Venice whose influence can be found in the architecture around the city, and there are even the remains of a Roman bathhouse right next to the port in the city center.
Today Vis is a small & calm fishing town, mainly a tourist destination. It has beautiful beaches, a number of lovely and rustic local restaurants, beautiful promenade where you can talk a walk in the evening and an endless amount of sun and fresh air.
The recipe I’m sharing today always makes me think of the Mediterranean recipes I love so much. It has Mozzarella cheese which paired with tomatoes is so tasty and we all love it. I prepared it every time I grilled with friends since there is always that certain someone who only loves bbq chicken. It pairs well with white wine and when serving it I would recommend making a big bowl of fresh mixed salad with lots of vegetables.
Preparation: 25 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 2 medium chicken breasts
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp smoked ground paprika
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp parsley
- 2 thick slices of Mozzarella cheese
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 60 g spinach
- olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Take the chicken breast and using a knife cut a deep pocket along one side.
- Mix the spices(garlic powder, smoked ground paprika, curry powder, oregano, parsley, salt & pepper) in a small bowl. Season the chicken breast with the spice mix inside and out and let them chill in the fridge for at least 20 min.
- Take out the chicken breast out of the fridge and place a slice of Mozzarella cheese, some spinach and tomato in the pocket you made with a knife.
- Start the grill and sprinkle some olive oil over the chicken breast. Grill the chicken breast on each side over medium heat so you capture the flavours and it cooks all the way through. Serve with some mashed potatoes or roasted potatoes or even the best choice would be a mixed salad with lots of fresh vegetables!