Everyone had that moment when they opened their fridge and started staring at it like it’s the TV wondering what to make for lunch or dinner. I’ve had the same thing happen to me a number of times and every single time a delicious dish came out of it. I just used the ingredients I had in the fridge to make something delicious, no muss, no fuss. It just reminded me how we always try to find a new recipe, a new dish that has some exotic ingredients forgetting that we have a fridge full of delicious fruit and vegetables just waiting to be tossed on the grill, or sliced in a fresh spring salad.
The funny thing about this recipe is how my grandma used to make it, actually very often, my mum still makes it every now and then and even my father knows how to prepare it even though he isn’t much of a cook. The point is that this recipe is easy to prepare and you probably have all the ingredients in your fridge right now. Sometimes you just have to cook simple dishes so you can appreciate the difficult recipes when you see them.
Enjoy & happy cooking!
Preparation: 25 min
Cook time: 35 min
- 650 g potatoes
- 300 g eggs
- 3 Bratwurst sausages, cooked and sliced
- batch of fresh shallot, chopped
- 200 g Edam cheese, grated
- 300 ml cooking cream
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 100 g butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot cook the unpeeled potatoes in water for about 20 min until cooked all the way through. Remove from water, peel the potatoes and slice them.
- In a second pot, smaller than the first one, cook the eggs until well done. Remove from heat, let them cool for a bit, next peel them and slice them.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C. Butter a large square baking tray.
- Pour the cooking cream in a bowl and stir in salt, pepper, pressed garlic and shallot.
- Place 1/2 of the sliced potatoes in a buttered up baking tray as the first layer of the casserole. Next place 1/2 of the eggs and on top of them 1/2 of sliced sausages. Pour one half of the cooking cream over the first three layers than repeat the process for the next three layers. After pouring the second half of seasoned cooking cream, top the casserole with grated Edam cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 30 – 35 min until you get a crispy golden cheese crust.