After writing the yesterday’s post and my family Lasagna recipe, I was thinking about which recipe I should do next. I wasn’t sure if any would top the delicious flavour and the scent of freshly baked Lasagna, but then I realised there just might be that one, the one that would pique the interests of everyone and anyone who reads my posts and recipes.
Barley, the most famous ingredient in beer, just the mention of it makes me want to head to the city to grab a beer with my friends. It’s not just me who thinks of beer at the first mention of barley, most of you probably would, at least the people around me would. All the way in ancient Asia and Egypt people were making barley beer and it is probably the first alcoholic drink people drank. But everybody forgets that barley is actually a grain and people have been using it also as food for more than 2000 years.
From stews to casseroles barley can be used in so many recipes, but my favourite is baked barley with root vegetables and bacon. It’s the perfect side dish, and it can also be used as a main dish by itself. We always choose to eat 1000..-option potato, or pasta and all the carbs that come with it, but a simple side dish like barley is a great idea to surprise your family and yourself and enjoy your dinner, you just have to be a little creative.
Enjoy and happy cooking!
Preparation: 25 min
Cook time: 45 min
- 1 kg turkey drumstick
- 400 g barley
- 1 l chicken stock
- batch of fresh celery, chopped
- batch of fresh parsley, chopped
- 100 g bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp red paprika
- 3 tsp honey
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cut the turkey drumsticks to the bone on each side. Season with salt, pepper, red paprika, honey and let them rest for a half an hour in the fridge.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat in a large sauce pan. Add chopped onion, garlic and carrot. Let it simmer for a few minutes. Pour in chicken stock, stir in parsley and celery and add barley. When it starts to boil place the barley with vegetables and chicken stock in a large baking tray.
- Fry chopped bacon in a small pan until golden and crispy. Stir it in with barley and vegetables.
- Grill turkey drumsticks on each side for 2 min. Preheat the oven to 200° C. Top the barley with grilled turkey drumsticks.
- Bake the drumsticks with barley in a preheated oven for 30 min until crispy, golden and delicious. Sprinkle the leftover olive oil over them.