Cake roll, jelly roll, cream roll or Swiss roll is an easy sponge cake filled with fruit, icing, jam or whipped cream. Even though the name suggests the cake originated from Switzerland it is believed that it originated in Austria in the 19th century. The first mention of a cake roll was actually in a journal published in Utica, New York in 1852. As the name changed for it over the years so did the number of new recipes emerge. Now it seems like every country has its own version of a cake roll, but the most famous is the Christmas log.
Nothing is better than eating cake in the summer, ok maybe eating ice cream, but still cooled down refreshing cake on a patio or in a patisserie will really set your mind at ease while you’re melting in the sun. Nowadays I’m just thinking on which cake to make first, will it be a chocolate ice cream cake or a raspberry cheesecake, but there is a type of cake usually prepared in Christmas time everyone somehow disregards – Cake roll, surprisingly delicious cake which can be prepared in hundreds of different ways. My recipe is for a real summer cake roll, both refreshing and delicious.
Enjoy the sunny days-to-come with this amazing Berry cake roll and share a slice with friends. Enjoy and happy cooking!
Preparation: 45 min
Cook time: 15 min
- 5 eggs
- 100 g sugar
- 50 g almonds, crushed
- 30 g cocoa
- 30 g flour, strong
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 300 g Mascarpone cheese
- 40 g brown sugar
- 2 tbsp rum
- 200 g forest fruit/berries
- In a large bowl beat together 5 egg yolks with 100 g of sugar. Sift together 30 g of flour, baking powder and cocoa. Add them to the egg yolk mixture and stir until combined.
- In a second bowl beat 5 egg whites until stiff. Manually stir them in with the egg yolk-cocoa mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 190° C. Place a parchment paper over a large baking tray.
- Spread crushed almonds over the parchment paper and pour the cake mixture over them. Bake in a preheated oven for about 11 to 15 min.
- Cover the freshly baked cake with another parchment paper and let it cool down.
- Mix together in a large bowl Mascarpone cheese with brown sugar, rum and berries. Spread the berry mixture over the cooled down cake and roll it. Place it in a fridge and serve it cold.