I grew up eating fried hake almost every Friday both home and usually at school – it was the time when they just started taking about healthy food at school and healthy eating habits among kids in Croatia, but they weren’t going anywhere further than talking about it. It felt like there was no other way to prepare it, no imagination or solution, grilled or fried. So when I stumbled upon this recipe in a popular Food magazine over here, I was inspired to make this dish with a few minor improvements.
The first time I prepared was for my mother who usually prepares traditional homemade dishes and is fond of sticking with traditional Croatian cuisine so it was a big challenge for me. I wondered if she was going to like it and hoped to impress because her compliment in this case would be a big thing. Fortunately she loved the dish and now recommends it to everyone!
This dish is a combination of familiar flavours which if balanced out well can create a delicious and joyful experience. Give it a chance, go on a culinary journey which won’t leave you unsatisfied.
Preparation: 20 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 300 g hake fillet
- 350 g broccoli, washed and sliced
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 200 ml cooking cream
- 2 tsp sesame
- 20 g Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place the sliced broccoli in boiling water and cook for a few minutes until they’re soft but still a bit crispy.
- Dry off the hake fillets and season them with a bit of salt pepper and lime juice. Let them marinade for 10 min and then dry them off again and slice them in cubes.
- In a large wok place sesame oil over medium heat. When it’s hot add sliced hake fillets and grilled them quickly then set aside.
- In the same wok add sliced spring onions and garlic. Simmer for a bit until soft and add cooked broccoli.
- In a small bowl mix together soy sauce, corn starch, cooking cream, salt and pepper. Stir in the sauce with broccoli and spring onions and bring to a boil.
- Add grilled hake fillets to broccoli and cooking cream and cook for a minute or two.
- Serve the dish sprinkled with sesame and Parmesan cheese.