For Easter and a last few days I’ve been to the seaside. I went there to work on my college project but I also took a chance to relax and enjoy fresh air and the sun in the sky. That familiar scent of pine trees, a light breeze coming from the sea charged all of my batteries. So I returned to Zagreb full of energy, ready to post a lot more recipes and share everyday moments with all of you who visit my blog.
Tomatoes alway make me think of a wonderful garden full of Mediterranean vegetables in front of a beautiful terrace of a house where I spent most of my summers as a kid. The people who we rented the house from had an amazing garden where we could find the most delicious vegetables and a small path leading to an amazing beach.
This is my grandma’s recipe and it’s one of my favourite. Take a chance on it and try it out, any feedback would be wonderful. Hope you like it as much as I do!
Preparation: 25 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- pinch chili pepper flakes
- 400 g tomatoes diced (1 can)
- 180 ml vegetable broth
- 50 ml heavy cream
- 50 ml sour cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a medium sauce pan place chopped red onion, pressed garlic and olive oil. Let it simmer until soft, for about 10 – 15 min. Add chili pepper flakes and some salt and let it simmer for a few more minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add diced tomatoes to the sauce pan and let it simmer for 10 min. Pour in vegetable broth and let it cook for about 15 min until tomatoes fall apart.
- In a small cup combine together heavy cream and sour cream. Stir in the cream in the soup and season with black pepper and salt. Cook for a few more minutes and serve in warmed bowls.