Today I was on a run, the first jog in a while just for the beginning of spring. I really try to exercise as much as I can and I live near one of the most beautiful parks in Zagreb, so the best way to do so is to go on a jog. For my first jog I ran 6,5 km in about 30 min – I know it’s not that fascinating, but for me it was a good run. When I finished I already knew my muscles were going to be sore and I was going to regret it. So now I can barely walk but it’s worth it, better it hurts today than tomorrow when I go jogging again. But I love the feeling, I trained swimming and fin swimming for 13 years so it’s all familiar to me and since I stopped training going to the gym or jogging is important for me to stay fit and healthy. With all that there are always recommended diets and certain things you should avoid, but I think the best way to stay healthy is not to overeat and to eat regularly diverse dishes consisting of fresh fruit and vegetables.
Desserts like cakes or pies are my favorite recipes and I always have a lot of fun preparing them. In the end it all comes down to one piece of cake that I get for myself because I share the rest with friends and family. There have even been cakes that I didn’t even get the chance to try because my family ate it. But I don’t mind, as long as they’re happy, I’m happy – I can always make another cake.
This cake I prepared one day for the first time before my friends came over to watch Game of Thrones. I’m a big fan of the show and really enjoy watching it with friends, and if there’s a cake, that’s even better! This cake isn’t just for all of you GOT fans, but for everyone because it combines the three perfect ingredients – chocolate, vanilla and strawberries and who doesn’t love that combination?
Preparation: 25 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 250 all-purpose flour
- 50 g sugar
- 1,5 dl vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp Nutella
- 2 dl yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250 g butter
- 60 g powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g forest strawberries
- strawberries, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180° C. Butter a square cake pan and sprinkle some bread crumbs.
- In a large bowl mix together eggs with sugar. Gradually pour in oil while mixing. Sift together baking powder and flour and then add it to the mixture little by little and mix until well combined. Add yogurt to the mixture and when combined divide in half.
- Stir in Nutella and cocoa in one half of the mixture and add 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract to the other half.
- Pour the vanilla mixture into the cake tray, than pour the chocolate mixture. Place strawberries randomly over the mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 20 min. Use a wooden pick to check if it’s done.
- In a medium bowl mix together powdered sugar and butter. Add tablespoons of milk and teaspoons of vanilla extract one by one until well combined. Spread the buttercream over the cake.
- Decorate the cake with sliced strawberries.