Here in Croatia gnocchi are very often served at the seaside prepared by many different recipes. Often served with tomato sauce or creamy sauces like quattro formaggi. When I traveled to Italy I always ate quattro formaggi gnocchi, from Venice to Padua and Bologna. While eating my way through one of those cities I discovered stuffed gnocchi. There were those stuffed with pesto, with different herbs and even with bacon. When I tried the last one I was so positively surprised, the bacon stuffed gnocchi were served with a simple pesto, which was good, but I though there could be a better sauce which could compliment the bacon inside.
My recipe was inspired by a discovery on one of my trips to Italy. Broccoli cooked in vegetable broth and served as a creamy sauce compliment the crispy salty bacon and gnocchi are like a bow on a present – tying everything together. Hope you’ll enjoy as much as I did!
Preparation: 30 min
Cook time: 45 min
- 250 g potatoes
- 170 g flour
- 3 egg yolks
- salt to taste
- flour for rolling out
- 150 g bacon, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and chopped
- handful of fresh parsley, chopped finely
- salt & pepper to taste
- 250 g broccoli, sliced
- 150 ml vegetable broth
- 70 g butter
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 100 ml cooking cream
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place the unpeeled potatoes in a pot of slightly salted water and bring to a boil. Cook them until tender.
- Meanwhile heat a small pan over medium heat. Add bacon, garlic and chopped fresh garlic, season with salt and pepper. Cook until crispy.
- When potatoes are cooked, drain them, remove skin and mash them up. Place them in a large bowl. Add flour, egg yolks and salt. Mix until you get a slightly sticky dough.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface. Using a pastry cutter or a glass, cut out approx. 20 circular patterns. Place 1 tsp of crispy bacon on top and using your hands form gnocchi.
- In a large pot bring slightly salted water to a boil. Drop in gnocchi and when they come up to the surface cook for a few more minutes.
- Meanwhile cook sliced broccoli in vegetable broth until soft. In a medium pan heat butter and add chopped onion and let it simmer. Add cooked broccoli to chopped onion and season with 1 tsp of nutmeg, salt & pepper. Simmer for 1 minute, pour cooking cream over and cook until thick.
- Serve cooked stuffed gnocchi covered in broccoli sauce and finish by grating Parmesan cheese over them.