I love this recipe so much. It combines two of my favorite things, steak and grilled vegetables. As it happens, I had grilled vegetables for lunch today – grilled bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant, onion and mushrooms, topped with olive oil, pressed garlic, a pinch of salt & pepper and aceto balsamico reduction. It is probably the simplest way of preparing different vegetables, and so tasty, the smoky taste of grill combined with the freshness of the vegetables.
It’s not a huge step from that to filling a steak with them and cheese and starting the grill. The recipe is simple and it lets you use any vegetables you prefer, which makes it more delicious, I don’t know if it makes it healthier – I like to think that it does. The side dish is not needed, but if you do want something, I would suggest a big bowl of lettuce, or any other seasonal salad, a not as much healthier choice would be croquettes. I’m a big salad person so I vote for salad!
Grabbing a chance to ask, do you ever eat salad as a side dish to any meal? – A big bowl of lettuce at my table is always served, and I’m not kidding. If it’s a steak, or if it’s pasta there is always a lettuce salad, I like how it evens out the flavors, how it brings the freshness to a cooked dish, and it is very healthy. Depending on the lettuce they’re rich in vitamins A, C and K, also in Potassium and Folic acid among other nutrients. So from me there is always a big recommendation to eat lettuce, as a side dish or as a dish for itself, with a nice vegetable oil-vinegar dressing and a pinch of salt, and not those mayo and cream dressings. Simplicity is key!
Enjoy the recipe, enjoy cooking and stay healthy!
Preparation: 25 min Cook time: 25 min Servings: 4
- 4 pork shoulder steaks / 4 chicken breast steaks
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 zucchini
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 100 g mozzarella cheese
- 2 tsp garlic powder to season
- 3 tsp red paprika to season
- salt & pepper to taste
- Take the steaks and beat them if needed until thin. Season the steaks with salt, pepper, garlic powder and red paprika.
- Slice the red bell pepper and zucchini into strips. Grill the vegetables over medium heat with extra virgin olive oil.
- Fill the steaks with strips of mozzarella cheese, bell peppers and zucchini. Grill them over medium heat until golden brown.