I remember as a kid eating pigs in a blanket at birthday parties or when hanging out with friends. All the kids loved it, I think it hasn’t changed as much today. It is a simple appetizer which can be cooked in no time with just a few ingredients.
There are also those frozen pigs in a blanket at the supermarket you can just put in a preheated oven for 10 – 20 min but where is the fun in that. I always thought frozen food at the market is just uninspiring and lazy. Cooking is something that gets the ball rolling, starts your imagination and with a few ingredients you can make so many recipes and delicious meals.
So in this recipe I haven’t used store-bought dough but I’ve done it myself. It can get messy but it is pretty easy so don’t get discouraged. Think of the satisfaction that is going to take place when you take golden & crispy pigs in a blanket out of the oven everyone is going to love.
Grab an apron & have fun! Enjoy!
Preparation: 20 min Cook time: 10 – 15 min Servings: 12
- 250 g strong flour
- 250 g butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 150 ml cold water
- 12 frankfurters
- 3 tbsp sesame
- 1 egg
- In a large mixing bowl sift the flour and salt. Add chunks of butter and using a fork combine the ingredients. Pour in 2/3 of water and mix until you get a firm dough. Leave in a fridge for 20 min.
- On a lightly floured board knead the dough and form a rectangle. Roll the dough in one direction. Fold the top third to the centre and the bottom third over it and roll out. Repeat two times. Fold as described and leave in a fridge for 30 min.
- Preheat the oven to 180° C.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Slice the dough and wrap it around each frankfurter.
- In a small bowl beat 1 egg with a pinch of salt. Spread the egg over the wrapped frankfurters and cover in sesame.
- Bake the frankfurters in a preheated oven for 10 – 15 min until golden and crispy.