At the first mention of dumplings you all, or at least most of you, must be thinking of Chinese dumplings filled with meat or vegetables dipped in Soy sauce or Sichuan sauce… this time that’s not the case, not saying that I don’t love Asian dumplings, because I’m a big fan of Asian food.
Cherry dumplings is a dish I grew up with, seems as I grew up eating everything, and that’s true.. but dumplings are something my grandma was really an expert in. Here they are called “Knedle”, if you’re feeling brave try to say it. In most cases dumplings in Croatia and in these parts are filled with plumbs. Lately there are all kinds you can buy, from nougat to cheese dumplings, and make yourself in 5 – 10 min but where’s the fun in that?
As I mentioned, usually filled with plumbs, well I decided to use cherries. You can use fresh cherries bought at the market or make a cherry jam and fill the dumplings with it. Nevertheless, if you are up to it you can use strawberries, plumbs, forest fruit, apricots, the recipe is all the same, just be sure that the fruit you use is sweet.
Enjoy the recipe, have fun kneading the dough and forming the dumplings, don’t forget to eat them when done!
Preparation: 20 min Cook time: 15 min Servings: 8
- 0,5 kg cooked potatoes, crushed
- 2 eggs
- 350 g strong flour
- 200 g cherries/cherry jam
- 2 tbsp oil
- 4 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- In a large bowl mix together crushed potatoes, flour, 2 eggs and a pinch of salt. Mix it manually until you get a fine dough that doesn’t stick.
- Divide the dough into 16 to 20 balls. Using your hand press each ball of dough and form oval shapes. in the middle of the dough place cleaned cherries and close the dough to form dumplings.
- Heat water with a pinch of salt in a large cooking pot over medium heat. When the water boils, place the dumplings in water and let them cook for 10 – 15 min until they float on water. Check them every now and then so they don’t stick to the pot. Take out the cooked dumplings.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a small pan and add bread crumbs. Let them simmer until golden and then add sugar. Serve dumplings coated in breadcrumbs and sugar.