A cake anyone would love, especially chocoholics. Sweet caramel and bittersweet chocolate would make anyone ask for one more slice. This two layer cake is enough for the whole family or a group of friends to enjoy.
Preparation: 20 min Cook time: 1 h 15 min Servings: 8
- 8 eggs
- 100 g sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 150 g hazelnut, crushed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 0,8 l milk
- 300 g caramels
- 150 g corn starch
- 50 g butter
- 50 ml heavy cream
- 150 g chocolate for glaze
- Preheat the oven to 180° C. Butter a round cake pan.
- In a large cooking pot boil 0,8 l of milk and pour it over 300 g of caramels. Stir the caramels so they melt and put them in a cooking pot over medium heat. In a smaller bowl stir together 8 egg yolks and 150 g of corn starch until you get a fine mixture. Before the caramel-milk boils add the egg yolks mixture and stir until you get a thick caramel cream.
- In a large bowl mix together egg whites gradually adding 100 g of sugar until stiff. Manually stir in cocoa, flour and baking powder. Finally add crushed hazelnuts and 75 ml of olive oil to the mixture.
- Divide the mixture in half. Pour one half into a buttered round cake pan and bake in a preheated oven for 20 – 25 min. Take out the first layer and bake the other layer for 20 – 25 min.
- In a medium bowl whip the heavy cream. Stir in butter and whipped cream into the cooled down caramel cream. To assemble the cake, place the first half of the caramel cream over first layer of the cake. Top it with the second layer and the second half of the caramel cream.
- Melt the chocolate and add 25 ml of olive oil to it to get a shiny glaze. Finish the cake with a chocolate glaze.