This is yet another cake for a cold winter day. Partially my grandmother’s recipe with my own twist. Combining sweet apples, toasted walnuts and chocolate – who doesn’t like chocolate? Something old and something new as they say.
Preparation: 20 min Cook time: 40 min Servings: 8
- 130 g butter
- 150 g sugar
- 3 eggs, medium
- 8 tbsp milk
- 8 g baking powder
- 1/2 cup rum
- 250 g bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 130 g walnuts, toasted & ground
- 250 g soft flour
- 3 apples, peeled
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream, optional
- Preheat the oven to 200° C. Butter a round cake pan.
- Beat together softened butter and sugar. Continue beating while adding 3 egg yolks one by one, after which you add one by one tbsp of milk while beating the mixture. Mix in the rum, chocolate and walnuts.
- In a second bowl beat together 3 egg whites until stiff. Manually mix in carefully the egg whites with the chocolate – walnut mixture. Stir in the flour.
- Spread the batter in the buttered cake pan and bake for 35 – 40 min until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is in the oven slice the apples in cubes. Place them in a pot with a cup of wine and half a cup of sugar. Cook the apples over medium heat. Continue cooking when it comes to boil for 3-4 min and remove from pot discarding the wine.
- Take the cake out of the oven. When cooled cut the cake in half and place the apples in between. Serve the cake with whisked cream or without, it’s up to you.